Fair Access Policy Changes:Click Here

Accommodation Listing Service | Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

  1. How to Login
  2. How to Post a New Ad
  3. Editing your Ad
  4. My unit has been rented. How do I remove my ad?
  5. My ad has expired. How do I renew?
  6. FAQs

How to Login

For users that have used the ALS in the past:

  1. Click “Login” in the top right corner
  2. Click “Forgot my Password?
  3. Type in your email address you used with the old ALS
  4. You will receive an email to reset your password
  5. Use your email and password to login to the new site

For brand new users that have not used the ALS before:

  1. Click “Register” in the top right corner
  2. Complete the form with your information
  3. You will be sent a verification email
  4. Log in!

How to Post a new Ad


Add at least one Contact. This can be yourself or others, such as your leasing agent. Contacts are added to Listings so prospective renters can get in touch.


Add one or more of your properties. Add all details for each Property. You only need to do this once per property, and then your property will stay in your database.


Add a Listing. Select a Contact and a Property and specify the Listing details (Rent, Date Available, etc.). Make a payment for the Listing and it will be active and displayed in the public search.

Editing Your Ad

You have 24hours from the time you posted your ad to make any edits or changes, in case you made a mistake or typo.

Once 24hr has past, you will still be able to edit some fields of your ad (i.e., description), but the ADDRESS, PRICE, and NUMBER OF BEDROOMS will be locked.

Once purchased, ads are non-refundable.

My unit has been rented. How do I remove my ad?

To remove an ad from the ALS:

(1) Login,

(2) Click ‘My Ads’ on the left-hand menu,

(3) Click on your property,

(4) Change the ‘Status’ from ACTIVE to INACTIVE,

(5) Click ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page.

My ad has expired. How do I renew it for another 30 days?

You will need to login and go to “Add New Listing+” just like you were placing a new ad.

Frequently Asked Questions

⬇ Who can use the Accommodation Listing Service?

Local landlords and property managers are encouraged to use the ALS to list their available properties.

Queen’s Community Housing also uses the ALS to post Queen’s-owned properties for rent or sublet.

⬇ How to avoid housing fraud & scams

Just because you use a reputable apartment search website doesn’t mean you can’t get scammed. As a tenant, you need to be vigilant to avoid being defrauded.

Visit the Off-Campus Living Advisor’s website for tips to avoid being scammed: Housing Fraud | Off-Campus Living Advisor (queensu.ca)

⬇ How do I report scams or fraudulent listings on the ALS?

At the bottom of each ad, there is a ‘Report Listing’ button. Please complete the required details, and it will be submitted for further review.

⬇ I’ve been scammed. How do I make a police report?

Visit: Frauds and Scams – Kingston Police

Frauds and Scams come in many forms and from many different sources including by phone, mail, door to door, email, internet, to name a few.

If you are a victim and have provided personal information and/or you have lost money, you can report it online or by calling Kingston Police at 613-549-4660.

If you simply wish to provide information about the fraudulent call, please submit a report to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

⬇ Does Queen’s University verify the listings before they are posted?

No, QUEEN’S DOES NOT ENDORSE OR WARRANT THE QUALITY OF THE RENTAL UNITS PROVIDED THROUGH THIS LISTING SERVICE. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that prospective accommodation is appropriate, suitable and safe.

⬇ Do I need to read my lease before I sign?

Yes! Make sure you read your lease before you sign. Some common illegal clauses in your lease may include:

  • No-Pet provisions
  • Limitations on guests
  • Requiring tenants to do snow-shoveling
  • Banning subletting
⬇ How can I have my lease reviewed before I sign?

Please contact the Off-Campus Living Advisor to make an appointment to have your lease reviewed:

Off-Campus Living Advisor | Queen’s University (queensu.ca)

⬇ How frequently should I check back to the ALS for new ads?

Check back frequently! New ads can be posted at any time.

⬇ How do I contact a landlord to set up a viewing/showing?

It is recommended that you view a property in person before agreeing to sign a lease.

Use the email address or phone number provided on the ad to contact the landlord directly. Queen’s Community Housing does not arrange showings on your behalf.

⬇ What are my rights as a tenant in Ontario?

Renting in Ontario: Your rights | ontario.ca

Read about the laws that affect residential tenants and landlords in Ontario. There are specific laws that govern what responsibilities both landlords and tenants have in Ontario as per the Residential Tenancies Act.

⬇ What deposits are legal in Ontario?

Last Months Rent (LMR):

This is legal. The rent deposit cannot equal more than one month’s rent or the rent for one rental period, whichever is less. For example, if rent payments are made weekly, the deposit cannot be more than one week’s rent; if rent payments are made monthly, the deposit cannot be more than one month’s rent.

The rent deposit must be used for the rent for the last month before the tenancy ends. It cannot be used for anything else, such as to pay for damages.

Security Deposit:

THIS IS ILLEGAL. The only acceptable forms of deposit in Ontario is a rent deposit, equal to one full month’s rent, which may only be used to cover the final month’s rent payment, as well as a key deposit if applicable.

Damage Deposit:


Key Deposit:

Key deposits are legal in Ontario, provided they meet a couple of important conditions:

  • The deposit must be a reasonable amount to cover the cost of replacing the keys
  • The deposit is refundable
⬇ How often can a landlord increase the rent?

The landlord can increase the rent once every 12 months. The landlord has to give the tenant a 90-day written notice of the increase.

Every year, the Province of Ontario sets the maximum amount that landlords can raise market rents for most Ontario renters without approval from the Landlord and Tenant Board.

The rent increase guideline for 2023 is 2.5%.

The guideline applies to rent increases between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023. The guideline is based on the Ontario Consumer Price Index, a measure of inflation calculated monthly by Statistics Canada that reflects economic conditions over a 12-month period (June to May).

New buildings, additions to existing buildings and most new basement apartments that are occupied for the first time for residential purposes after November 15, 2018 are exempt from rent control.

⬇ What is the Ontario Standard Lease?

The Ontario standard lease is required for most residential tenancy agreements signed on or after April 30, 2018.

Guide to Ontario’s standard lease | ontario.ca

⬇ What is an N11: Agreement to End the Tenancy

Form N11 (tribunalsontario.ca)

An N11 is a Landlord and Tenant Board form. A landlord cannot require the tenant to sign an N11 Agreement to End the Tenancy as a condition of agreeing to rent a unit. A tenant does not have to move out based on this
agreement if the landlord required the tenant to sign it when the tenant agreed to rent the unit.

⬇ What living situations are exempt from the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA)?

The Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to a residential rental agreement that requires (from the beginning of the tenancy) the owner of the property or the owner’s immediate family, which includes spouse, parent, or child/children, to share a kitchen or a bathroom with the renter.

⬇ I’m an international student. What should I know about Canadian/Ontario rentals?

Renting Your First Home in Canada: What Newcomers Need to Know (cmhc-schl.gc.ca)

Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation (CMHC) has advice in English, French, Mandarin, Tagalog, Urdu, Punjabi, Spanish and Arabic on important things you need to consider when renting a Canadian home. Read about what to look for in potential rentals and the different types available (privately-owned, shared accommodation, and subsidized housing), plus responsibilities of tenants and landlords, lease agreements, and things to keep in mind when moving in or out.

⬇ What are ‘utilities’?

When you move to Kingston, Ontario, you may be required to set up accounts for some essential utilities like hydro (electricity), gas, sewer, and water.

To open or close a Utilities Kingston account, visit the Utilities Kingston website to complete their online form.

There are also other services, such as internet and cable television, which are not considered utilities.

If you are renting, check with your landlord and your lease to determine if you will need to set up utilities or if they will be included.

⬇ What is a ‘Sublet’ versus an ‘Assignment’?


  • The tenant wishes to leave the unit and not return to the unit at any point.
  • The Landlord agrees BEFORE anyone new moves in, to consider an Assignment.
  • The person taking over the lease (assignee) must qualify for the unit as per the Landlord’s typical process.
  • The assignee assumes full responsibility for all lease terms and conditions for the balance of the lease term.
  • The full amount of the rent will be paid to the Landlord by the assignee for the balance of the lease period.


  • All tenants and occupants are going to vacate the unit for a period of time and return to the unit before the end of the lease term.
  • The rent is continued to be paid by the original tenant(s) to the Landlord. The subtenant(s) will pay rent to the tenant.
  • Subtenants do not have any rights to the unit.
  • If your subtenant does not pay you rent, you are still responsible to pay your Landlord.

A tenant must have the landlord’s approval to assign or sublet the unit, but the landlord must have a good reason to refuse.

For more information see the brochure: How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy.

⬇ Property Standards: What should I do if repairs are needed to my unit or building?

Talk to your landlord first about the problems. Put the problems in writing and give the list to the landlord or the person who takes care of maintenance (for example, to the superintendent or property manager).

If the landlord refuses to do the repairs or you think that the landlord is taking too long to deal with the problems, see the brochure: Maintenance and Repairs.

⬇ How to submit a Property Standards Complaint?

Property Standards – City of Kingston

Residents who are renting and are experiencing a problem, should inform the landlord/superintendent and/or property owner of any deficiencies, maintenance and repair issues. Although written correspondence is preferred, notification by phone is acceptable. Please keep a copy of all correspondence for your records.

You must provide a reasonable timeframe for the deficiencies to be resolved. If they are not addressed, you can contact Property Standards at bylawenforcement@cityofkingston.ca or 613-546-4291 ext. 3135.