Up-to-date Commuinity Housing COVID-19 information Click Here

COVID-19 Update – May 22, 2020

Due to ongoing physical distancing requirements, most courses and programs will be delivered through remote means for the fall term. We continue to explore options to enable as many of our students as possible to be on campus in the fall, while adhering to provincial legislation and public health guidelines. Should a significant number of students be able to return to campus in the fall, there may be opportunities for limited, in-person, course-related activities, such as a lab demonstration in a large auditorium, or small in-person seminars or program offerings.  Some specific courses and programs will require on-campus components this fall. Please read the latest update from our Provost.

Faculties and Schools are communicating with their students with further details about fall academic program delivery.  Student and community safety and wellbeing is our primary concern, and the university continues to be guided by provincial requirements and the advice of Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Public Health throughout our response to the pandemic.

We acknowledge the many challenges and uncertainty this situation is causing.  The Division of Student Affairs has a range of services to support your physical wellbeing, mental wellness and academic success. We encourage you to visit Student Awards for further information about financial aid.

We know that you may have questions related to the university’s plans for the fall term, including how this decision may affect your lease with Community Housing. Many students will continue to live in the university’s rental properties through the summer and fall.  Tenants are expected to continue to make rent payments on leased properties.

Please refer to the FAQs below for additional information.

Can I cancel my lease?

If students no longer wish to rent from Community Housing or are unable to do so, they should follow the normal process to attempt to assign their lease to new tenants.  Students are responsible for the rent until a new tenant has signed the required paperwork.  Refer to the Community Housing website for details on the Assignment process. If you have any questions about your circumstances, please contact us at: community.housing@queensu.ca

Can I defer my lease until January or whenever in person classes are expected to resume?

The university will not defer leases on our rental properties. If you do not wish to continue/start your lease in September, you will need to follow the process for assignment or cancellation. Please contact us at community.housing@queensu.ca for more information.

Will there be any adjustment in my rent if my fall term classes are delivered remotely?

The university appreciates the financial pressures facing students and their families, however rents will not be adjusted. The university has a number of financial aid options available and the federal government has also introduced various support programs, including the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, which is now open for applications. Please refer to the Student Awards website for current information.  If you wish to discuss specific individual financial arrangements, please contact us at community.housing@queensu.ca for assistance.

My housemate is no longer planning to live in Kingston this fall. Can I replace them on the lease?

Yes.  Please contact the Community Housing Office to make arrangements to change the tenants associated with the lease.

I don’t have the funds to pay rent for the summer because I can’t work. Can you cancel my rent for the summer?

If you choose to continue to have rights of access to the unit, you will still be required to pay rent.  The university has a number of financial aid options available and the federal government has also introduced various support programs.  Details are available at Student Awards.

See previous posts.