The following applies to groups comprised predominately of current Bader International Study Centre (BISC) students who apply by the priority application deadline, NOON November 26, 2018. Students joining households who are already in Kingston or those who miss the priority application deadline may try to secure a unit through the regular process.
Allocation is based upon availability each year (according to units being vacated). Therefore the number of any size unit cannot be predicted nor guaranteed. Please submit a first and second choice for the size unit you would prefer. Offers must be made and accepted for a particular size unit before the deadline below. The remaining units have deadlines for continuing in the May 1st allocation process.
All Community Housing buildings are non-smoking. Leases are for a fixed term. Units are unfurnished except for fridge and stove. University Tenant(s) do not rent the grounds, balcony, porches or basements of a property. They rent from the unit door in. (The landlord reserves the right to control the use of the space surrounding the rental unit.)
Students may apply individually for bachelor or 1-bedroom units. For larger units (2-bedroom and up), the first person listed on the application will be the representative (at the castle) for the group. All correspondence from our office will be sent to the Group Representative until your tenancy begins; this reduces the number of interactions required and allows for quicker responses on our end.
Each student in the group must complete a section of the BISC May Lease Application Form. Please be sure to indicate a first and second choice of unit type for your group. Community Housing does not match students to fill groups or assign rooms. Groups are responsible for securing all members of the household required. We strongly recommend that you do not just "throw together a group" to fill a unit; it is best to choose your housemates carefully, see the Student Community Relations Website for more info and tips. If you are applying for a unit with 6 bedrooms or more, please complete and submit two forms (both with the same Group Representative listed). Only complete applications will be processed.
If your group wishes to view the unit before signing a lease, a viewing appointment must be arranged prior to the deadlines provided in your offer letter. Only one viewing per group will be permitted and there will be no access provided to the unit after the lease is signed (until the move in day). If no one from your group is able to make it, you may authorize someone (parent/friend) to view the unit on your behalf by emailing their information to email@example.com with a note authorizing them to view the unit for you. The same requirements apply in respect to setting up a viewing appointment.
- If you have any further inquiries, feel free to contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your deadline to apply is: NOON November 26, 2018 – state 1st and 2nd choice
- Applications will be assigned a number – in cases where the number of applications exceed the number of units in that category the unit will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.
- Offers with leases, for successful applicants, will be emailed to the group representative: beginning the end of November 2018.
- Lease signing deadline: will be provided in your offer letter- see web for details and Authorization forms
- Your lease period would be 3 PM May 1, 2019 to NOON April 30, 2020.
- University tenants do not rent the grounds, balcony, porches, or basements of a property. They rent from the unit door in. (The landlord reserves the right to control the use of the space surrounding the rental unit.)
- Units cannot be altered (eg. painted, locks changed) without the advanced written permission of the landlord.
- Early possession or early move-in of belongings is not permitted. Outgoing tenants must vacate by 12 noon on April 30, 2019 so that incoming tenants can take possession at 3 p.m. on May 1, 2019.
- All tenants are equally responsible (joint and several) for any unpaid debts (eg. cleaning, damage and rent).
- There is NO guarantee for housing in the University District for BISC students.
Typically September 1 lease start, *Limited May 1 Rentals Available*
John Orr Tower – 1 bedroom apartments only
An Clachan Complex – 1, 2, & 3 bedroom apartments
Please e-mail enquiries to email@example.com